Thursday, May 3, 2012

We need cookies!

I'm sorry for my absence. Believe me, I've been wanting to post but my "other" job has required far more of me, in time and spirit, than I had ever imagined.

At our church/school we have had a resignation, a new hire (replacement), and a reduction-in-force in the span of just 30 days.

When I was working for the Federal government these types of personnel changes happened often and without much drama. But now I'm faced with changes that feel very "personal". The people moving on, coming in, leaving....I know them well. I care about them. They are a part of my family. When they rejoice, I rejoice with them. And when they are stressed, I share their pain.

My personal diet has been apples and yogurt, ramen and veggies during the day, and frozen foods/pasta with sauce in the jar, etc. for my family.

So I've not been cooking. I've not been posting.

But now, I'm taking a deep breath and I'm ready to resume thoughts about taking care of my family. And I'm thinking about CARBS!

Really BIG Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats  (do not use instant or quick oats)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4  teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup coconut
1 12-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line two large cookies sheets with parchment paper. Lightly grease parchment paper.

Place oats and 1/2 cup flour in processor; blend until oats are almost ground, about 10 seconds. Transfer oat mixture to medium bowl. Mix in remaining 1 cup flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Using electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter in large bowl until light, about 1 minute. Add both sugars and beat until well blended, about 1 minute. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until well blended, about 1 minute. On low speed, beat in dry ingredients just until blended (do not over beat). Stir in coconut and chocolate chips.

Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto prepared sheets, spacing evenly apart and forming 6 mounds per sheet. Bake each sheet of cookies 16 minutes. Cool cookies on sheets for 5 minutes. Using metal spatula, transfer cookies to racks and cool completely.

(Can be made 2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)






No comments:

Post a Comment