Friday, November 4, 2011

One potato, two potato.... (or another Carb Diva "surf and turf")

I love breakfast--in fact, I'm happy to have "breakfast for dinner" But pancakes, waffles or cinnamon rolls are not really my thing. My number one love is potatoes--creamy and whipped, fluffy and baked, or crispy fried.


Today I had three potatoes in my pantry--one russet and two yams. And a large sweet onion.


What to do?


My thoughts turned to hash. But what protein could/should I pare with a mix of potatoes that are somewhat sweet/somewhat earthy? Ham or bacon are obvious. But I don't do obvious.


...And then I noticed the smoked salmon tidbits in the seafood section of my local grocer. They're not beautiful fillets--but who needs beautiful fillets when you're making hash? Little bits are just fine. And smoked salmon with dense russets, sweet yams, and creamy sauteed onions sound like a perfect match to me.

Carb Diva Smoked Salmon Hash
1 large russet potato
2 medium-sized yams
1 large sweet onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 pound smoked salmon
1 tsp.dill weed

Using a small paring knife, pierce the russet potato in several places. Microwave for 3 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove the peel and dice the potato.

Pare the yams and dice (about 1/2 inch).

Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook until softened and just beginning to turn golden. Add the pared/diced russet potato and the yams. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden.

Mince the smoked salmon and add to the potato/onion hash. Continue to cook and stir until the salmon is heated through.

Sprinkle with dill weed and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment