Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Countdown to Thanksgiving -- the pumpkin pie


I have a confession to make. I've been holding onto this secret for far too long. It has to do with honesty. I've not actually lied, but I've not told the entire truth either. Isn't withholding information the same as a lie?

Sigh. OK, I'm going to lay it out here for my family and friends. For years I have been serving you tofu in the guise of pumpkin pie. There, I've said it!

I feel better already.

So why use tofu in a pumpkin pie? Years ago when my younger daughter was vegan (no animal products of any kind) I was desperate to find ways to prepare our traditional foods without the use of eggs or dairy products. I discovered this recipe and found that not only did it not taste of tofu, it was also easier to prepare. Traditional pumpkin pie recipes call for eggs--under cook the filling and you have pumpkin goop; overcook and you have pumpkin rubber.

This recipe is fool-proof:

Tofu Pumpkin Pie
1 can (16 oz.) pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 pkg (10-12 oz.) soft tofu, processed in blender until smooth (DON'T USE LOW-FAT TOFU)
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cream the pumpkin and sugar. Add salt, spices, and tofu and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees F. and bake for another 40 minutes.

Chill and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment