Friday, September 16, 2011

Chili Macaroni Casserole





Today we have chili weather.

No, that's not a typo. I awoke this morning feeling a chill in the air, and knowing that despite the calendar, it is no longer Summer. This is exactly the type of day for chili. But it's also a day in which I have, at last count, 101 things to accomplish. So I'm going to rely on my pantry and prepare a casserole for our evening meal that has been a hit with my kids since they were little.

Carb Diva's Chili Macaroni Casserole

Ingredients
  • 1 one-pound package macaroni (my kids love the kind shaped like wagon wheels)
  • 2 15-ounce cans chili (use whichever type is your favorite)
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
  • 4 cups crushed tortilla chips

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and place in large mixing bowl. Gently stir in chili, salsa, 1 cup of the cheese, and the crushed tortilla chips.
  3. Spray a large cooking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread macaroni/chili mixture in dish; top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
  4. Bake uncovered about 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.

NOTE: You can omit the salsa if you prefer a less spicy meal. This is also a great place to "hide" additional vegetables--corn, cooked carrots, or diced zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment

French Onion Chicken and Pasta

  The Weather Outside Is Frightful I live in the United States—you'll find me in the upper left-hand corner of the map, the Pacific Nort...