Thursday, July 7, 2011

Chicken salad -- healthy doesn't have to be boring

My older daughter and I invited a dear friend over for lunch today. I knew that I would not have much time to prepare a meal, so came up with something I could make the night before. Toni loves chicken and fresh veggies so why not a chicken salad?

Most restaurant chicken salads are laden with full-fat mayonnaise. Yes, creamy is dreamy, but I'd rather be able to actually taste the chicken and experience the crisp textures of nuts, fruits, and veggies.

 Carb Diva Chicken Salad Sandwich

3 cups diced cooked chicken
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp. fresh minced rosemary
2 tablespoons fresh minced chives
1/3 cup non-fat mayonnaise
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper

Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Cover and chill at least one hour to allow flavors to blend. Spread on bread of your choice. My personal favorite is honey oatmeal.

Note: This is such a versatile recipe. Other things you could add (or substitute in place of an ingredient you don't have on hand or don't care for) are:




  • fresh minced tarragon
  • sliced seedless grapes
  • crumbled bacon
  • chopped tart apple
  • chopped fresh cherries
  • pumpkin seeds
  • chopped smoked almonds
  • shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment