Monday, April 25, 2011

I lied!

Photo by Kraftfoods.com

Well, I didn't actually lie lie. I changed my mind. Lemon Cheesecake Bars didn't happen yesterday. I just wasn't in a cookie-kind-of-mood. Pie. Pie is what I wanted. Creamy dreamy pie.

With the help of www.Kraftfoods.com, I was able to use some of the ingredients I had already purchased for the cookie bars. Thank you Kraft for a quick, easy dessert which received lots of oohs and aahs.

Lemon Cream Pie
Vanilla wafers, finely crushed (enough to make 1 1/2 cups)*
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 pkg (3.4 oz) Jello lemon-flavor instant pudding
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
zest from 2 lemons
1 tub (8 oz) Cool Whip, thawed
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix cookie crumbs and butter; press onto bottom and up side of 9-inch pie plate. Bake 10 minutes. Cool.

Beat pudding mix, 3/4 cup milk and zest in medium bowl with whisk 2 minutes. (Mixture will be VERY thick). Stir in 1 1/2 cups Cool Whip. Spread in onto bottom of cooled crust.

Beat cream cheese, remaining milk, and sugar in separate medium bowl. Stir in remaining Cool Whip. Spread over pudding layer in crust.

The people at Kraft provided a recipe for a lemon curd recipe on top. But I was in a bit of a hurry (and feeling somewhat lazy) so I purchased a small jar of lemon curd (look in the jelly/preserves section of your grocery store). I used 1/2 of the jar, loosened it up a bit by stirring in 2 teaspoons of water, and then placed it in my piping bag with the largest star tip and decorated the edge of the pie with lemon curd rosettes.

* I used shortbread cookies (I like the ones made by Keebler). They tend to make a finer crumb, so you'll need 1 3/4 to 2 cups of crumbs

No comments:

Post a Comment