Saturday, March 26, 2011

I Remember Mama


Photo: Wikipedia.com

With the title of this post, I'm probably more than showing my age. "I Remember Mama" was a play written in 1944, adapted to the silver screen in 1948 in a movie starring Irene Dunne, Barbara Bel Geddes, Edgar Bergen, and Rudy Vallee. It was the story of a Norwegian immigrant family in 1910.


No, we weren't Norwegian, nor did we enter this country in 1910. (My mom was born in 1908, a first-generation German Russian. Her mother and father lived in Montana and worked a sugar-beet field.) But yesterday I wrote with a bit of nostalgia about my mom's biscuits. My older sister Marilynn saw my post and came to the rescue. She has Mom's recipe. Here it is for you:


Mom's Biscuits
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp sugar
½ cup shortening

Mix until coarse crumbs. Add 2/3 cup milk at once. Knead gently. Bake 450 degrees 10-12 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment