Monday, January 24, 2011

A little trip half-way around the world

450982Well, yesterday's soup was so tasty (and the weather is still so "wintery") that I've decided to make another batch of soup today. But I have a bit more time available, and lots of goodies in my pantry. I like it when I can prepare a meal that doesn't require a special trip to the store.

I don't remember where or when I obtained this recipe--but it has been a staple in our house for many years. It has so much going for it (at least from our perspective): (1) it uses canned goods that you already  have in your pantry, (2) it's vegetarian, (3) it makes a LOT of food, and (4) it's easy!

Moroccan Chickpea Soup
2 tsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 cans (14 oz each) vegetable broth
1 cup water
2 cans (14 oz each) diced tomatoes
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh minced ginger
1 tsp. tumeric
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried corriander
1/2 cup orzo pasta
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas (garbanzoes)
3 cups cooked lentils

Saute onions in olive oil over medium heat in large soup pot until they begin to soften. Add the broth, water, tomatoes (undrained), and herbs and seasonings. Cover the pot and bring to a boil.

Uncover, stir in the orzo. Cook, uncovered, until the orzo is tender, about 6-8 minutes.

Rinse and drain the dried chickpeas. Stir the chickpeas and lentils into the hot soup and continue to cook until heated through.

1 comment:

  1. I am so trying this...as soon as I get some chickpeas :)

    ReplyDelete