Saturday, January 8, 2011

Can I be lazy and still be decadent?

I love Italy. I've been there twice and long to go back again. One of my sisters lives there. She moved there for a job with the U.S. Goverment years ago, and loved it so much that, when it came time to retire, she opted to stay.


Smart lady (....takes after me!)


And I love Italian food. Right now I'm making plans for an Italian dinner tomorrow night (Sunday). The main dish I will share with you tomorrow, but the dessert I'm actually making today because it's frozen. Biscuit Tortoni. Have you heard of it? Well, where do I begin? It is almost ice cream, but isn't and it is almost Italian, but isn't..........or, well I'm just not sure.

The dessert is usually attributed to Giuseppe Tortoni, a Neapolitan who owned the popular Café Tortoni in Paris in the early 19th century. The café, know by Manet and Balzac, was famous for its ice cream. It’s assumed that tortoni was one of the ice creams sold at the café. But tortoni, which is also called biscuit tortoni, was most popular during the mid-19th century in America, where it was served in restaurants and sold in cups from street carts.

That's the history. So how does that figure into the dinner I'm planning? It's semi-quasi-almost Italian and it's EASY! At least it is if you make it the way I do (and Carb Diva LOVES easy!):

Biscuit Tortoni
1 8oz. container extra creamy frozen whipped topping, thawed
1/3 of a 14.5 oz. pkg Keebler dark chocolate almond sandies (9 cookies)
1/4 cup marascino cherries, chopped
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup coconut
1 tsp. almond extract
1 Tbsp. rum

Scoop the whipped topping into a large mixing bowl.

Chop the cookies into small crumbs--I used my food processor, but you could achieve the same result by placing them in a plastic zip-lock bag and then crushing with a rolling pin.

Fold the cookie crumbs, chopped cherries, almonds, coconut, and flavorings into the bowl with the thawed whipped topping. Stir gently until blended.

Spoon into 6 parfait glasses. Place in freezer and chill at least 2 hours or overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment