Monday, November 15, 2010

Kiss Cookies


Oatmeal Kiss Cookies Recipe
Photo by "Taste of Home"

The people at my church love God, coffee, and each other (probably in that order) and never seem to lack for a reason to socialize. We did that yesterday after church. It's impossible to drink coffee without "something to bite" as my mother would say. In fact, in our congregation I believe it's the 11th Commandment. (Garrison Keillor would feel right at home.)

I knew we were expecting 200 people and volunteered to bring half of the cookies. I needed a recipe that would make LOTS of cookies and wouldn't require an extra trip to the grocery store. There were 2 bags of pumpkin-flavored candy kisses in my pantry (how did that happen?!) so I used the Taste of Home recipe for "Oatmeal Kiss Cookies" by Anna Mary Knier. (NOTE: I doubled the recipe shown below)

Oatmeal Kiss Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup chopped nuts
72 milk chocolate kisses (I used pumpkin)

In large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats and nuts. Roll into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake at 375 degrees F. for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a kiss in the center of each cookie. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 6 dozen.


No comments:

Post a Comment