Tuesday, October 26, 2010

With love to my sister!

Provender in tiverton 4 corners has the best ginger snaps ever.The weather is still frightful--cold, rainy, and windy. A good day to stay in a warm kitchen. For me, the aroma of sugar and spices is comforting and makes the whole house feel more cozy. So today I baked a batch of molasses cookies. This is a recipe I got from my dear sister Florence years ago. I wish I could share them with her now but 18 years ago this week she was diagnosed with an unstoppable cancer. I still miss her and think of her every day, but when I listen to hymns that she sang or bake treats that she enjoyed she seems a bit closer to us.

Molasses Cookies
1 cup sugar plus additional for shaping cookies
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
3 T molasses
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl cream together sugar and butter; mix in egg and molasses. In another bowl sift together dry ingredients; add to butter/molasses mixture and mix until blended well.

Chill dough for 30 minutes.

Form dough into walnut-sized balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place on greased cookie sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven about 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove immediately from pans and cool on wire racks. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment